Day 84

Saturday, August 4 -

I went on a CAPA-led walking tour of Hampstead Heath. Only four of us showed up for this tour so it was very easygoing. Hampstead Heath was a beautiful park and it was like I wasn't in a huge city anymore. The whole tour ended up being quite the adventure because there were a lot of pretty steep hills/mountains in the park and the whole thing is just a huge maze. It began with a trek up to the top of Parliament Hill where we had a gorgeous view of the city below.

Houses on the opposite side of the pond at Hampstead Heath
Hampstead Heath
The view of the City from Parliament Hill
The view from the other side of Parliament Hill
Our next stop was supposed to be the Kenwood House, a huge mansion in the park, but we took a wrong path somewhere and ended up right back where we started. Then we had to hike some more and we took a few more wrong paths. The view was always super nice and there were so many dogs everywhere! They were all running around and being happy dogs and nothing makes you feel happier than seeing a cute puppy bounding around in the park.

People fencing in the park 
The forest
Fallen tree
So many ferns
More of Hampstead Heath
Finally, after hiking what felt like 10 miles all uphill, we made it to the Kenwood House! Except it turns out the whole thing was under construction and covered in scaffolding.

The Kenwood House under construction
That was pretty disappointing. There was a picture of the house on some sign outside and it looked really nice. I put seeing it on my things-to-do-next-time-I'm-in-London list. The tour ended at this house, which was pretty far from the Tube station, and since it was just the four of us and the tour guide, we took a taxi to the Tube! It was my first time riding in the London black cabs, so that's one more thing I don't have to put on my things-to-do-next-time-I'm-in-London list.

I've been suffering from this TERRIBLE toothache since Thursday, and by the time this tour was over my pain medication had worn off, so instead of spending my last day in London doing fun things (like going back to Camden market) I had to spend it in AGONY in the urgent care center. It hurt so bad agony has to be in all caps. My mom called my dentist and he told her it was probably an infection and I should go get some antibiotics to help treat it. The doctor prescribed me some antibiotics and pain killers which helped.

After I took the meds, I felt better so I went to Harrods with my friend. She was doing some last minute souvenir shopping and I was just looking around and soaking up as much of London as possible. We wanted ice cream so we went to the Harrods Ice Cream Parlour. It was way too fancy. You couldn't just order an ice cream cone. You actually had to be seated and someone had to come take your order of expensive fancy ice cream. But it was super good.


And finally it was the dreaded packing time. Fingers crossed my suitcases aren't too far over the weight limit...

No comments:

Post a Comment