Day 5

Thursday, May 17 -

Today was day two at CBS, and thankfully I made it there with no problems. I went on a shoot with two camera guys, a driver and the reporter. Quite the team, since I'm used to the one man band. We went to Kew Gardens, which was really pretty. There were some geese sitting on the grass and they must be really unafraid of people because I got pretty close to it and I was scared, but it wasn't moving. I got to listen to the sound and make sure nothing went wrong with it, and also carry the backpack with some equipment in it.

I also got the responsibility of listening to BBC's one o'clock newscast and recording all the stories they reported and basic summaries. It's actually challenging because half the time I can't understand a word they are saying and then they start talking about people with foreign names and I have no idea how to spell them.

Then I got to make 10 copies of this super long thing about the Jubilee. I successfully figured out how to use the Xerox machine (they don't teach basic office skills in school anymore), but I did not take advantage of everything it can do. I had 10 copies of something like 15 pages, so around 150 pages. I needed to put them each in order to make 10 different booklets. So I'm sorting out piles of papers on the table in the break room, and some guy comes through and looks at me and says, "I think the machine can do that for you." And I was just like, "Oh. Probably, but oh well." Then the receptionist comes through and she's like "Oh........... that machine can do that for you." And I really wanted to tell everyone to just stop feeling bad for me because the alternative was doing nothing, and sorting papers isn't really that hard.  But now I know!

At the end of the day, I got to sit in on their conference call to the US office and listen to them plan out Jubilee coverage. It's still in the planning stages so it'll be interesting to see how everything comes together. Also, about five times during the day someone stood up and asked everyone if they wanted tea.

The Tube ride back home didn't go as smoothly as I hoped, though. I somehow managed to get on the wrong train home. It was an easy fix though, it just took several extra minutes on an already 45-minute long journey.

I went to the pub again tonight, and this time I stole the bottle! I also remembered my camera so I could take pictures of London at night.

Some building lit up purple somewhere around Leicester Square.

The London Eye lit up blue and Big Ben!

Whatever this building is next to the Palace of Westminster.

South Bank of the River Thames.



No comments:

Post a Comment