Day 66

Tuesday, July 17 -

It was web day! The breaking news today was that President Obama kissed his wife on the Kiss Cam at some basketball game. I had a pretty hard time writing a good headline for that. As I was staring at a blank page thinking about it, the web editor was like 'Man, woman married for years kiss.' I really wanted to just write that.

The next story I posted was about a beach in Japan reopening after the nuclear disaster last year. Nothing too exciting to say about that except I got to stick an extra photo in there. I love spicing up the stories with visuals!

Then I got to use my journalism skills and actually add to a story! It was about some guy in Utah who died, but he wrote his own obituary and made some pretty serious confessions. I went to the newspaper that published the obituary and added in a few extra lines from it. My favorite was his explanation about how he received a PhD by mistake. He said, "What happened was that the day I went to pay off my college student loan at the U of U, the girl working there put my receipt into the wrong stack, and two weeks later, a PhD diploma came in the mail." I never knew it was that easy.

My favorite was the story about the Soyuz capsule arriving successfully at the ISS. I found out CBS has a space analyst and a whole entire section of their website dedicated to space! So that's my new career aim, and then one day I'll be reporting live from the moon. Either that or I want to do communication/multimedia stuff for NASA. From space.

I had class in the afternoon, and unfortunately we did not have a field study today. We turned in those awful papers we had to write, which I actually did finish last night. We talked about recent history in London, the riots and attitudes towards the Olympics and the fact they are being held in the East End (the poorer area of the city). This discussion was accompanied by several different songs of the time periods including The Rolling Stone's "Street Fighting Man," Sex Pistol's "God Save the Queen" and the song of now, Plan B's "Ill Manors." Ill Manors is actually being turned into a movie and the lyrics make so much sense after our discussion.



Class was interesting but I get so tired of sitting in class talking for three hours. We also watched this funny BBC movie called Twenty Twelve. At first I thought it was a real documentary about planning the Olympics, so I was pretty confused for a minute until I realized it's just making fun of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment