Day 74

Wednesday, July 25 -

I taught another intern how to do Eurovision! I'm like the super intern now! Then I got sent off to help Newspath with their interview with some air pollution guy. Their story was about pollution and how it's affecting people and the Olympics. The air pollution expert guy said it's a huge problem and the government doesn't really do anything about it, or tell people it's a huge problem. He also said they are using scare tactics to help bring down pollution, like telling people to stay off the roads because they will be congested, even though they won't be. I'm not sure I believe him, but it was certainly something to think about.

When I got back to the newsroom, I had to log the interview. I was just glad it was short and the air pollution guy talked nice and slow so it was very easy. I also had to log vox pops (opinion sound bites from the 'people on the streets') about Olympic traffic. It was so funny. Everyone hates the Olympics and everyone hates the Olympic lanes (Game Lanes) that they just opened on the roads. Reactions went like this:

Q: What do you think about the Olympic lanes?

"I think they're pointless. Pointless. And as a UK citizen trying to get to work, why should it take me another 2 hours, try and pay tax and fund silly lanes and stuff like that, so it's pointless, pointless."
"Well, there's not, there's nothing using it is there?"
"Rubbish. Waste of time."

Q: How's your journey in today been?

"Crap. Absolutely terrible, but you know, that's going to be much the norm for the next couple of weeks, or til the end of August. But, uh, I think the biggest thing is the restrictions at the moment."
"Crap. Basically."
"Pain in the bum."

Q: Are you looking forward to the Olympics?
"Not at all, mate. No."
"No. I'll be glad when it's over. Causing too much trouble."


Also, the way they did most of these interviews was while they were driving in the car. The producer would lean out the window with a microphone and talk to other people driving their car down the road. It's a good thing they drive on the left, otherwise this strategy wouldn't really work out.

It was a day full of logging because I had to text this interview with the mayor, Boris Johnson. It was also about the Olympics so it was pretty urgent. I couldn't really understand I word he said though. He talked way to fast and his accent was really strong and his hair is really distracting. He also wouldn't answer any of the questions and he said that the Game Lanes were working really well (clearly everyone agrees).

Boris. Fix your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment