Day 19

Thursday, May 31 -

Today at work I got to go shopping. The best part was it wasn't my money!

The next five days are full of Jubilee madness, so today was preparation day. My boss sent me out with 100 pounds (a little over $150) to buy tacky Jubilee souvenirs to use as props when they broadcast live from Buckingham Palace. So they booked me a taxi and I went crazy at some souvenir shop. I got tons of mugs, a plate with the Queen's face on it, some ridiculous tea towels, and other things of that nature.

They also wanted actual nice Jubilee souvenirs, so they sent me and the other intern out with 200 pounds (about $320) to spend at the Buckingham Palace gift shop. We got some gold plated spoons and plates and teacups, this book about the Queen, and other stuff that looked super nice.

After the shopping spree, we headed over to Buckingham Palace where the crews were getting everything ready for our set. Over the five days of Jubilee celebrations, CBS will be broadcasting live every morning. As interns, our job was to sit in the chairs while they tested the cameras, lighting, sound and other technical stuff.

That carnival/spaceship thing in the background is where the Jubilee concert will be taking place on June 4.

It took them forever to get everything set up and working. They had to move the cameras and move us, plug everything in, adjust the lights about a hundred times, and test the IFBs and the mics so we could hear them and they could hear us. And by them, I mean the people in CBS headquarters all the way in New York. It also started to get super cold and windy, and we didn't have jackets so that part was pretty miserable. I'm just glad I got this awesome picture out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment