Day 28

Saturday, June 9 -

I hopped on the train bright and early this morning and headed off to Belgium for our class trip! It was the first time I've ever felt like I was in a foreign country. I've never felt more thankful for universal symbols, because a lot of stuff wasn't in English!


We went to Bruges first, and as soon as we got off the train I started craving waffles. Belgium really understands tourists, because they serve waffles in the vending machines.


Bruges was beautiful! We stayed in a super nice, swanky hotel, which I think really spoiled all of us. We had lunch in the hotel restaurant (we all got a free drink!), but the menu was in Flemish or something so I really had no idea what anything was. I ended up getting the best lasagna I've ever had in my life because it was the only thing I could read on the menu.

The view from my hotel room
The hotel room!
After lunch we wandered around town to find chocolate. We went to this shop that, apparently, Lady Gaga and other celebrities get their chocolate from, and it was delicious.


My first bite of Belgian chocolate!
After we got our chocolate we fix, we headed off to find a canal cruise. It took us awhile to find the canal and once we finally did we ended up walking the wrong way to find the place where you get in the boats. It was a great walk, though, and worth it once we finally figured out how to get onto the cruise. Unfortunately my shoe broke during this long walk. The only other pair I had with me were rain boots, which were all the back at the hotel, so I ended up buying new sandals.

Bruges Market Square
The canal

A house on the canal



For dinner I had my first ever Belgian waffle! It was delicious (like all the food here), but I think we got ripped off. The waiter never gave us menus, so we really didn't know the price of anything. He told us the waffles were 3.50 euros, so we were like, 'yay, cheap food!' But then once it was time to pay, it turns out they were really 7.50 because we got fresh fruit on them. Also they charged us for the ketchup we got with fries, and they charged for two even though we only got one.


Every single restaurant here claims they don't have tap water, so you have to pay for really expensive bottled water. Usually it turns out that it's cheaper to get a beer than water. I really want to ask them what they are washing their dishes with since I guess they don't have a sink in the kitchen they can use to fill up a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment